Damn. Now I got bitten by the smart home bug, and am pondering buying some gadget that can read SML data from the IR LED on the power meter down in the basement.

(Though I tested wifi by dropping my phone into the power distribution box down there, and the connection was extremely marginal. No idea if the small antenna on something like an ESP-01 would be able to make a connection. Unfortunately there's also no good way to route a cable out of the enclosure.)

Nice! In contrast to my phone, the ESP-01 has (admittedly marginal) Wi-Fi connectivity inside the distribution box. Should be good enough to send some telemetry.

Seems like now I'll need to read up on Tasmota, MQTT, Home Assistant, and how to connect everything to record some data... As soon as I get the power source sorted - my power bank switches off when the sensor box has no activity. Maybe adding a hub would make for enough load on the USB outlet? Also have a small 2200mAh battery to try.

...at least this is a small project where I know mostly none of the components and it's less hard to just wrap things into docker compose (other than that the lastest Home Assistant release container still doesn't run on an original RasPi - the python inside dies with a SIGILL).

Hrm, why did a start a new thread on this stuff instead of continuing with the other one?

First success: The default Tasmota script for the Landis & Gyr E220 gives me at least some of the data that's pulsed out as SMT stream by the IR LED:

Follow

Still no reply from the energy provider about unlocking detailed statistics.
I freed up an RasPi 3B+ at home that I used as jumphost / proxy / pihole by moving everything to an LXC container on the Proxmox host, so I can now upgrade the Home Assistant RasPi (and probably get out of the crash problem with their current Docker releases on an RasPi 1B). The old RasPi will be fine for the jumphost role, as soon as I have moved everything over, and the other stuff is better off in a small container.

The ESP-01 used up a small 2200mAh power bank in less than 3 days, so running it off a battery seems problematic. But then I'm not sure it was fully charged, and also the data collector script ran every 10s, and I heavily used the web interface, both of which uses quite some power (wifi transmission seems expensive on that system).
Was thinking about monitoring input voltage for an early warning, but that module isn't built in with the precompiled Tasmota that came with the sensor hardware.

Ok, a (supposedly) 10000mAh bank ran down in two days, so something seems very wrong. Tweaked some Tastmota settings, but I doubt there's going to be much of an impact on power usage.

I had hoped to get at least a few weeks of uptime...

Currently I have no idea how to get an USB cable into the fuse box (never mind the nearest power socket on our circuit is in a cellar a good 5m away).

On the other end, Home Assistant is now reinstalled on an RPi 3B+, which looks way more useful.

...also my issue on the Home Assistant stable docker container crashing on an RPi 1B still has not reaction from the developers. Oh well, at least someone else with the same problem showed up by now.

Sign in to participate in the conversation
INFRa Mastodon

The social network of the future: No ads, no corporate surveillance, ethical design, and decentralization! Own your data with Mastodon!